Leslie Patricelli (Illustrator)
"Happy birthday to me," sings the jovial little toddler, clad in a white diaper and a striped birthday hat. "Look! I got a present!" he announces. It's a box as big as he is, wrapped in polka dotted paper and ribbon. What's inside? A big brown box! What's inside? It's a doggy! He names the little yellow dog Oscar, and the two immediately climb back into the box and go on splendid adventures. They fly over the ocean, sail their ship through the waves, slide through the snow, and eat some birthday cake. The first-baby narration couldn't be simpler, and the sturdy acrylic illustrations, with the baby, dog, and box outlined in black, make you want to dive into each page.
Themes : BIRTHDAYS. IMAGINATION. PLAY.
CRITICS HAVE SAID
- This imaginative bath-time book excels at blending story and pictures.
–School Library Journal
- The pictures are a wonder to behold.
IF YOU LOVE THIS BOOK, THEN TRY:
- Fox, Mem and Helen Oxenbury. Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes. Harcourt Children, 2008.
- Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. Sandpiper, 2008.
- Carle, Eric. The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Philomel, 2007.