Simms Taback (Illustrator)
Labeled a "giant fold-out book," this appealing and colorful animal book contains a series of six riddles that even the youngest child will delight in solving again and again. On the first heavystock page is an illustration of what appears to be a large gray and white tail. Underneath, in big, black print, is the question, "Who am I?" On the facing all-black page is a clue, in big white letters: "I gather acorns." Now lift up the right-hand page and you'll see the animal's gray body and four paws. Oh, look! On the light blue flap above, there's another clue: "I have a big furry tail." The only part not visible yet is its head, but your child, nestled contentedly on your lap, will start hollering, "It's a squirrel." Really? Open up that final flap for the complete picture of a life-sized squirrel, staring balefully at you with his big brown and black eyes. In huge black letters, it states, "I'm a SQUIRREL!" The 18" by 18" illustration is a blast of colors-yellow sky, orange ground and acorns, indigo buildings in the background, and, center stage, that big gray squirrel looking like you startled him when you opened the page.
Themes : ANIMALS. CITIES AND TOWNS. TOYS.
CRITICS HAVE SAID
- Taback’s animals are accentuated against bold blocks of color, and there’s humor, too: the creatures’ expressions range from alarmed to goofy to just plain vacuous.
- The heavy cardstock should withstand many readings–good thing, as this one is sure to be a favorite among young
IF YOU LOVE THIS BOOK, THEN TRY:
- Burton, Marilee Robin. Tails, Toes, Eyes, Ears, Nose. HarperCollins, 1988.
- Campbell, Rod. Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book. Little Simon, 2007, c1999.
- Jenkins, Steve, and Robin Page. Move! Houghton Mifflin, 2006.
- Jolivet, Joelle. Zoo-ology. Roaring Brook, 2003.
- Laden, Nina. Peek-a-Who? Chronicle, 2000.
- Pandell, Karen. Animal Action ABC. Dutton, 1996.
- Rash, Andy. Are You a Horse? Scholastic, 2008.
- Seder, Rufus Butler. Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book. Workman, 2007.
- Taback, Simms. I Miss You Every Day. Viking, 2007.
- Taback, Simms. Peek-a-Boo Who?: A Peek and Flap Book. Blue Apple, 2006.
- Taback, Simms. Simms Taback’s Safari Animals. Blue Apple, 2008.
- Taback, Simms. Simms Taback’s Simms Big Book of Words. Blue Apple, 2004.
- Taback, Simms. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. Viking, 1997.
- Taback, Simms. This Is the House That Jack Built. Putnam, 2000.
- Taback, Simms. Where Is My Friend?: A Hide-and-Peek Book. Blue Apple, 2006.
- Taback, Simms. Where Is My House?: A Hide-and-Peek Book. Blue Apple, 2005.
- Ziefert, Harriet. When I First Came to This Land. Illus. by Simms Taback. Putnam, 1998.
- Zuckerman, Andrew. Creature ABC. Chronicle, 2009.