Eileen Christelow (Illustrator)
"One fell off and bumped his head. The Mama called the doctor. The doctor said, No more monkeys jumping on the bed." Originally published as a picture book in 1989, this classic rhyming bedtime story about five ebullient monkey siblings now comes in many formats: an easy read-along paperback with a CD, in Spanish, as five little finger puppets, and now as a large board book dubbed "A Lap Board Book" by the publisher. This one will be a bedtime favorite unless you mind your once-sleepy toddlers jumping up and down, shaking their index fingers gleefully, and chanting, "No more monkeys jumping on the bed." They'll count down from five to none, and squeal over the cheerful pastel and watercolor illustrations of the sassy monkeys and their long-suffering mama.
Themes : ANIMALS. MOTHERS. STORIES IN RHYME.
CRITICS HAVE SAID
- This is a natural for younger story hours, and can also be used with beginning readers. Whether sublimely happy or ridiculously goofy, Christelow’s expressive monkeys pack a lot of appeal.
– School Library Journal
IF YOU LOVE THIS BOOK, THEN TRY:
- Arnold, Tedd. No Jumping on the Bed. Dial, 1987.
- Arnold, Tedd. Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name. Scholastic, 2004.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. There Once Was a Man Named Michael Finnegan. Little, Brown, 2001.
- Anholt, Catherine, and Laurence Anholt. Chimp and Zee. Putnam, 2001.
- Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys Bake a Birthday Cake. Clarion, 2004, c1992.
- Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys Go Shopping. Clarion, 2007.
- Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree. Clarion, 1991.
- Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys Play Hide-and-Seek. Clarion, 2004.
- Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car. Clarion, 2000.
- Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do. Clarion, 2004, c1996.
- Dewdney, Anna. Llama Llama Red Pajama. Viking, 2005. (And others in the Llama, Llama series.)
- Diakitée Baba Waguée The Hatseller and the Monkeys. Scholastic, 1999.
- Goode, Diane. Monkey Mo Goes to Sea. Blue Sky/Scholastic, 2002.
- Gravett, Emily. Monkey and Me. Simon & Schuster, 2008.
- Johnson, Paul Brett. Little Bunny Foo Foo. Scholastic, 2004.
- Koller, Jackie French. One Monkey Too Many. Scholastic, 1999.
- Murphy, Jill. Peace at Last. Dial, 1980.
- Perkins, Al. Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb. Random House, 1969.
- Raffi. Spider on the Floor. Crown, 1993.
- Rathmann, Peggy. Good Night, Gorilla. Putnam, 1994.
- Rathmann, Peggy. 10 Minutes Till Bedtime. Putnam, 1998.
- Rey, H. A. Curious George. Houghton Mifflin, 1993, c1941.
- Slobodkina, Esphyr. Caps for Sale. HarperCollins, 1947.
- Taback, Simms. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. Viking, 1997.
- Walton, Rick. So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book. Lothrop, 1998.
- Westcott, Nadine Bernard. The Lady with the Alligator Purse. Little, Brown, 1988.
- Yolen, Jane. How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Scholastic, 2000.