Peter Busby; David Craig (Illustrator); Jack McMaster (Illustrator)
Arguably the finest of the many books published for children in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers’ first flight on December 17, 1903, this scrapbook has it all: good looks; a meaty, quote-filled text that reads like a dream; scientific explanations children will inhale and understand; huge paintings, diagrams, archival photos, and a labeled drawing of the 1903 Wright Flyer to pore over; and cogent sidebar explanations of terms including wing-warping, the Wright wind tunnel they built to simulate flying conditions, and the three movements all aircraft make: pitch, roll, and yaw. (The next time they fly, your kids will understand how it all works, probably better than you do.) To round it off, the book also contains a list of important dates, a glossary, selected bibliography with books and websites, and an index. Nonfiction doesn't get any better than this.
Reviewed by : JF.
Themes : BIOGRAPHY. FLIGHT. INVENTIONS AND INVENTORS.
CRITICS HAVE SAID
- "The pages are filled with large, sumptuous paintings that add a flavor of realism and an almost nostalgic feel. In addition, well-chosen images and reproductions help to inform the text." – Harriett Fargnoli, School Library Journal
IF YOU LOVE THIS BOOK, THEN TRY:
- Adler, David A. A Picture Book of Amelia Earhart. Holiday House, 1998. ISBN-13: 978-0823413157
- Brown, Don. Ruth Law Thrills a Nation. Ticknor & Fields, 1993. ISBN-13: 978-0395735176
- Burleigh, Robert. Flight: The Journey of Charles Lindbergh. Philomel, 1991. ISBN-13: 978-0440847045
- Collins, Mary. Airborne: A Photobiography of Wilbur and Orville Wright. National Geographic, 2003. ISBN-13: 978-0792269571
- Freedman, Russell. The Wright Brothers: How They Invented the Airplane. Holiday House, 1991. ISBN-13: 978-0823408757
- Hunter, Ryan Ann. Into the Air: An Illustrated Timeline of Flight. National Geographic, 2003. ISBN-13: 978-0792251200
- Old, Wendie. To Fly: The Story of the Wright Brothers. Clarion, 2002. ISBN-13: 978-0618133475
- St. George, Judith. So You Want to Be an Inventor. Philomel, 2002. ISBN-13: 978-0142404607
- Szabo, Corinne. Sky Pioneer: A Photobiography of Amelia Earhart. National Geographic, 1997. ISBN-13: 978-1435206397
- Weitzman, David. Model T: How Henry Ford Built a Legend. Crown, 2002. ISBN-13: 978-0375811074